India's abandoned widows struggle to survive

05:07:00

The Hindu temple town of Vrindavan, a few hours south-east of Delhi, is known by another name locally: it's called the city of widows.

While most come here to find religion, many come because they have nowhere else to go. Others are just dumped here by families who no longer want to pay for their care.

Sixty-five-year-old Shakti Dasi from Agartala in north-eastern India is one. She came here eight years ago when her husband died.
.
Her sons no longer want her, she says.

"It's a struggle to survive, but I can manage on very little. Like everyone else, I too hoped that my children would grow up to take care of me, but they didn't. So I had no choice but to come here."

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images